Thursday, 28 November 2013

Week 10 & Last Week!

This week we have a topic about sorting algorithms. Out of the sorts (selection sort, quick sort, merge sort) it seems that merge sort is the fastest of the 3 sorts. Of course, it depends on the elements given, such as if the list is small selection sort would be fast while quick sort depends on the pivot in which it sorts around. The efficiency of algorithms is important as the speed in which it solves problem  may mean 1 minute or 1 hour. Of course, selection is also the easiest to implement. We also learnt about timsort and although we did not know the code, it turns out it is a hybrid of all 3 where it takes the best way to sort these elements. It other words, it takes the best possible route/ most efficient in order to sort numbers. Also this week is the last week (ish) of school! Exams are coming up and this will be my first time writing a final exam at the university. Hope everybody good luck on their exams!

2 comments:

  1. I'm guessing this is Brian based on the name firedark60. In many cases quick sort is much faster than merge sort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I read about Timsort, I know that this is a hybrid of only the selection and the merge sort. So I think it doesn't contain the quicksort in it.

    ReplyDelete